Tuesday 23 October 2012

In Response to 'that' letter


'This ongoing 'Fashions on the Field' Drama has sparked more controversy throughout the country than ever before' 



When first embarking on my blogging career on Fashions on the Field, the racetrack seemed somewhat a more happy place with groups of well dressed ladies gathering at a stage where only a few friends would come to watch and be rewarded for having poise, elegance and grace.
Is this all beginning to turn around?
When approached with the question of “Should the guidelines of Fashions on the Field be changed? “, I feel after 50 years, there is nothing broken so don't fix it.
I mean, when you enter, it is totally up to the judges discretion as to what they deem fashionable and on trend, are we then to sit the judges down and tell them how to vote?
I say No! (To me the beauty of living in democracy)
If you are aware of what the competition is, you can stand there and be judged, I think that is the whole point.
Of late, with Racing Fashion TV hitting an all time high and community TV giving stations a serious run for their money on a Tuesday night, the most coveted 'Fashions on the Field Sash' has become one of the most hotly consented ladies fashion events in Australia.
The beginning of Racing Fashion TV was a follow on idea from the website created almost 5 years ago, to embrace all ladies at the track taking centre stage. This was not just to attract one type of person, but to show everyone that this competition is open to all women, ages, sizes and shapes. The public welcomed 'Racing Fashion' and 'Racing Fashion TV' with open arms.
People may choose not to like me or who I am, but really it is a drop in the ocean. This has enabled all ladies to have their time on camera. We do occasionally interview well known names, but I really like to 'Talk' to them, and see the person they are and relate them to the public. This is why we keep the show unscripted and silly. You cannot plan to be silly, it just happens!
While filming ladies and gentlemen at the track, I have made many friends and this is something 'Fashion on the Field' ladies say, that it is a fantastic opportunity to make friends and oohhh and aahhh over each others shoes, hats and outfit.
With recent events of 'Facebook' pages and social media escalating on personal points of views of individual competitors, we have to ask ourselves, “Do we question the rules if I were to win or have won”.
I have many friends in this fashion world, I don't always see eye to eye with people, but really that is what makes us different and to have constructive criticism about a subject is based on purely a personal opinion. I can admit if I have been wrong, but I will stand by what I say.

In one case the 'Facebook' page had no identity to an individual. Often there are 3 sides to every story. His side, Her side and then the truth. Don't be blinded about what another may think or say. Think constructively for yourself and justify your reasons for liking or disliking something. It is easy to run with a pack and say “I don't like something”, it is easier to justify dislike than like in a peer group. If you stand alone and say “I like that.”, you run the risk of standing alone as many people cannot articulate their emotions to why they like or dislike something.
When I purchase an I phone or agreement on a computer, it is up to me if I agree to the terms. It is a 'yes' or 'no' answer. Do you agree by the terms of 'Fashions on the Field', yes or no?
If you enter you will be aware, the judges decision is final.

My husband always thought I should have won, as your husband, boyfriend or partner would say, but they are not the judge.

Today I had a letter in regard to what Racing Fashion Australia had to say about controversy about a competition. How do you feel about it???


RE: QLD to represent NSW What Do you think? 

Having read the recent letter from an anonymous writer I wish to respond. I am the mother of a regular entrant to Fashions on the Field. My daughter has been entering for 9 years now and I have always attended to offer my support, so I am writing this letter as an observer from the other side of the stage. My daughter has always researched her outfits and purchased them at her own expense from either a store or Ebay. She purchases her hats to co-ordinate at full price either at a store, Ebay or if required has had a milliner make a specific hat from her drawings, design and colour specifications. She enjoys the whole experience and keeps to a budget. On race day she takes great pride in presenting herself even doing her own makeup and hair. She sometimes wins and other times loses but is always confident in the knowledge she represented herself and her own style on the day. 

However, over the years I have witnessed several of Ms Robson’s granddaughters enter Fashions on the Field. Unfortunately, Ms Robson would have you believe she is not the brains behind these girls and it is quite clearly not the case. Ms Robson openly admitted in the Courier Mail (Saturday 13th October) that she sources the material, creates and sews these outfits for the love of fashion. This is not what the competition is about. It should clearly be the entrant’s idea and creation, solely. These girls are not having any input into these outfits and is always evident through their lack of knowledge and confidence when they are interviewed on stage. No one begrudges the girls their due wins however, I don’t believe for a minute that Ms Robson is a concerned grandmother “idling her twilight years away” sewing these creations on her faithful little old sewing machine at home. She regularly attends and associates with other milliners under the “umbrella” of a prominent Brisbane millinery proprietress. This, I believe reflects badly on the girls and can only intensify suspicions. Ms Robson was quite outspoken during the article (Courier Mail, Saturday) with regards to the “nastiness” however, I have witnessed her granddaughters ungraciousness and rudeness in their defeat, also. 

The Fashion on the Field judging criteria needs to step up and be stricter. However, I do not believe there is any way of addressing this issue as you are relying on the honesty of the information the contestants divulge at the time of registration. With such elaborate and expensive prizes on offer you will never have fair play. The major department stores need to select better role models as their ambassadors to represent true women. I do not believe a stick thin woman with a thigh to mid length outfit, long hair covering her face, poor posture and a surly disposition should be allowed to judge fashion. This is not how a woman should be portrayed and is insulting and demeaning. With regards to “**** Fashions on the Field” competition have state by state finalists there is nothing in the rules stating entrants cannot travel. I, personally do not agree with this, however, these are the rules. If **** feels strongly and decides to change the rules for entry next year in the interests of fair play and accurate representation for each state then maybe a system of entrance to the competition by the way of photo and place of residence identification needs to be introduced and enforced. 

Racing Fashion Australia should not be vetting the opinions and responses to the originator of the article. Everyone is entitled to comment and whether for or against comments are made it is not Racing Fashion Australia’s position to make that decision. Unfortunately, the only mistake the writer made was to not identify themselves. 

At the end of the day Fashions on the Field should be an experience the entrants enjoy and if they win or walk away with a lovely gift bag be confident in the knowledge they presented themselves to the best of their ability, their own style and obeyed the rules of the competition. There will always be those who wish to take the easy way in life and this is evident in all walks of life from sports, politics, religion and normal everyday occurrences. 

Mrs Helen Nasternak






In Response to Mrs Nasternack,
I thank you for your opinion.  That is where it stands, an opinion.  Racing Fashion Australia had an opinion, be it right or wrong in your eyes, but everyone has the right to an opinion as you have expressed yours.  I am glad the opinion of the former site has been taken down as I don't feel it is in the interest of competitors.  This is about women embracing their womanhood, some people enter fashions on the field for confidence, prizes, stage presence and the list is endless.  I believe this competition should be open for all.  Is that not why we have choice?  This site is a choice to look at or not, like reading a magazine or newspaper.  We are all different and we should embrace our right to choose different clothes and hats and what we read, this makes us individual.
I am unsure if you are the mother or grandmother in this email???  I am glad you have the courage to put your name to your words as I do everyday.


The Above Response was printed on www.racingfashion.com.au website.


No comments:

Post a Comment